Happy Wayfarer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wondering are hotel room keys waterproof? If you are worried that your hotel key card will get wet and stop working, then you might be right. But, you can protect your key by using the hotel’s key holder service or by using a waterproof pouch.
Read on for more details on hotel key cards, how to keep them safe during water activities, and the benefits of using RFID cards. Let’s get started!
A Brief History of the Hotel Key Сard
Hotel Keycard has a storied history, which we would like to share with you.
Back in the 1960s, when inns were still using keys as a way to enter their rooms, there was a growing problem of theft from rooms. To overcome this problem, Tom Sornes introduced the 32 holes-based plastic cards that can be used to unlock a specific lodge.
The card would allow paying guests to access their rooms while they were out. This hotel key card allowed visitors to enter their rooms without having to worry about leaving the door unlocked or feeling unsafe while they were out of their rooms.
And so the history of the hotel key card began!
The concept of hotel key cards caught on quickly, and by the late 1970s, many hotels had adopted the technology. However, it wasn’t until the early 1980s that hotel chains began implementing these systems on a large scale—and it was only then that they became an industry standard.
Swimming With Hotel Room Key
If you need to go swimming, but you are worried about getting the hotel key cards wet, don’t panic! Here’s how you can swim in hotel pools without worrying about the key.
Note: Though most hotel key cards are designed to be water-proof and won't get damaged if it gets wet, water still can damage the card's chip if it is submerged for too long. So if you are planning on swimming in the hotel pool it is better to leave it in a dry place.
Here are some places to keep your hotel key cards while swimming:
- You should keep your hotel key card in a secure location, such as a locked locker or a safe near the pool.
- But if your hotel doesn’t have one of those, then consider leaving it with the front desk or with a lifeguard if one is on duty.
- The best way to keep your hotel key cards safe is to use the hotel’s key holder services.
- If the hotel does not provide this service, consider carrying a waterproof pouch.
- You can also use a wristband or lanyard to attach your keycard securely to yourself while swimming.
RFID Wristband Hotel Key card- From Wallet to Wrist
Now, your wallet card can be replaced by a wristband. No need to carry bulky key chains or hotel keys. Here’s why RFID is a better choice:
- RFID Hotel Wristband Hotel Keycard is the most convenient way to access your hotel rooms and check out. It’s also a great way to keep track of your belongings at the hotel!
- The RFID Hotel Wristband Hotel Keycard is made from durable materials, so you don’t have to worry about it breaking or getting lost.
- RFID technology makes this hotel key card easy to use, but still secure. The RFID technology allows for quick scans of the card by any RFID reader in the area that may be used by hotels as a form of identification.
2 Key Benefits of RFID Cards Over Magnetic stripe or Barcode
Hotel key cards with a magnetic stripe are used for guest lodging access and can be kept in a pocket or in a Ziploc bag with a water bottle and swim stuff.
RFID cards are safer than magstripe or barcode cards because of their ability to save more data and provide greater security to a transaction. This means that you can use an RFID card for transactions that are longer-lasting, such as those at your favorite coffee shop.
2. Durability & Accuracy
RFID hotel key cards can withstand more wear and tear than magstripe or barcode cards, which means they’ll last longer and be easier to read. They also have a higher level of accuracy which makes them ideal for high-value transactions.
5 Reasons Why RFID Wristbands Are More Convenient Than Cards
Visitors can expect secured suites with a lock, phone, and lounge chair, while staff nearby is there to assist with any needs. Hotel guests want to be able to access their lodge without having to fumble for a traditional key card in their wallet or purse.
RFID technology provides an added layer of security, as the wristbands can be programmed with unique information that can’t be replicated or copied.
2. Cost Effective
RFID wristbands are more money effective in the long run, as they are durable and can be reused multiple times, unlike traditional key card that needs to be replaced frequently.
The wristband hotel key card can be customized with the hotel’s branding, logo or message, providing a unique experience for guests and increasing brand awareness.
4. Environmental Friendly
RFID wristbands are environmentally friendly as they eliminate the need for a paper key card, which adds to landfill when discarded.
5. Hotel System Integration
RFIDs can also integrate with hotel systems such as room access, payment, and loyalty program so that a seamless experience is provided for guests.
Hotel Room Keys – Additional Information
Here is the information you need to check out related to the hotel keycards.
Can the Key Card Get Wet?
Hotel keys are designed to be water resistant, but it’s always a good idea to keep them safe from the elements. Consider putting your keys in a small plastic bag or waterproof container.
This will help protect them from getting damaged and it’ll also prevent any moisture from getting inside the box.
Keeping Your Keycard With You
Tip: if you're traveling, make sure you leave your hotel key card with someone. It might be a friend, your roommate, or even your significant other.
But it’s important to keep your room key close at all times so that you can get into the room without any hassle.
Personal Information on Room Hotel Key Cards
Charges in Case of Losing It
The cost of a replacement metal key is typically around $10.
If you lose your hotel key card, there are a few things you can do to get back into your room:
- To request a replacement key, guests must come to the front desk with their lost key card number and identification.
- The front desk staff will then record the time and date of the request, along with any relevant information such as the room number or name of the guest who lost the key.
- If there are no additional charges associated with a replacement key, such as an after-hours fee, guests will be able to pick up their new key card immediately.
Hacking of Room Hotel Key Cards
The hotel industry is constantly under pressure to make their customers’ stay more pleasant and secure. So it’s not surprising that they are also a target for criminals.
The hacking of key cards was first discovered in 2012. This technique enables hackers to access someone’s room without a physical key.
The following precautions will help in keeping your key cards safe:
- Remember to watch your key cards and not leave them in the room.
- Make sure your card won’t get damaged as it can be hacked more easily.
- Don’t leave your card near electronic devices having magnetic strips.
What makes hotel room keys stop working?
It is also possible for the key card itself to become damaged, such as bending or breaking it.
Is a key card waterproof?
Yes, a keycard is waterproof. But, it’s better to not leave it in the water for a longer period.
Why do phones mess up hotel keys?
Phones get confused by magnetic fields that are stronger in motels than in other places.
Will keys sink in water?
Yes, hotel cards will sink in the water.
Where do you store your keys when swimming?
The best place to keep your key is in a pool locker with a keypad lock when you’re swimming or you could keep it on the end of a lanyard as well.
Hotel keys are designed to withstand water but not for a longer period of time. However, a number of precautions can be taken to avoid unnecessary damage and to ensure your key lasts as long as possible. While these precautions will not only guarantee your key’s longevity, they can help you avoid being locked out of your lodging or getting hacked due to a damaged key.
How do you ensure that your hotel card stays safe from water? Let us know in the comments below.